Their total number was 200; 72 percent representing females whiles the remaining 28 percent represented males ( 144 females and 56 males).
These were the final 11 cohorts from the Alpha, Beta and Gamma training categories who received soft skills training from the NBU Project and also form the last cohorts to be trained under the project.
The total number also includes a special cohort of “Kayayes” 24 in all, 23 females and 1 male taken through soft skills training with about nine of them set to begin their hard skills training in fashion and design, make-up and baking.
As a top-up support, 48 entrepreneurs who successfully completed their hard skills training were supported with start-up tool kits which were 30 industrial machine, 8 over-locking machines and 10 make-up kits set.
“This support is only a first of many to follow, with special focus on the PWDs trained under the project”, Acting Project Coordinator Roberta Aryeetey indicated in her address at the event.
The graduation ceremony was held on Saturday, 14th November,2020 at the forecourt of the hub located at Asokore Mampong Municipality.
Present at the event were the MCE for the Municipality Hon Alidu Seidu, Acting Board Chairman for SOS Children’s Villages-Ghana Mr. Christian Appiah, Mrs. Nana Abena Kwakye( Board Member, SOS Children’s Villages-Ghana), Representatives of the Zongo Chief, Honorable Assembly members, Civil Society Organizations among other dignitaries.
Roberta Aryeetey still in her statement took time to brief the gathering on the objectives of the project and the impact made so far.
She underlined that since the inception of the project, 600 youth graduates have successfully gone through the project.
Out of the total, 195 have jobs, 95 have start-ups and 180 had the chance to acquire hard skills training in the areas of fashion and design, make-up , shoemaking, graphic design, cake and pastries, soap making among others.
Mr. Benard Amoako, Director for SOS Children’s Villages-Kumasi set the record straight that the project has been successful due to support received from the European Union, SOS Netherland, the Asokore Mampong Municipal Assembly, Management of SOS Children’s Villages-Ghana.
Mr. Amoako who was key in the facilitation of the development of a proposal for the project said “while we were developing this proposal, we were thinking of what we can do to reduce the unemployment situation in the municipality. Around that time, there was so many stories about Asokore Mampong but thanks be to you and God, we have been successful and our achievements are there for all to see”.
He said as trainees have been ushered into the world of work hence their graduation, he is confident that they will be able to deliver.
By: Simon opoku Afriyie -OTEC FM /choicenewsonline.com