A service to lessen the stress student goes through when commuting to school in Assin Odumasi. It is believe that, during raining season students of Assin Odumasi find it difficult to commute from their households to the school premises.
This is due to a river that separates the school from the township. This river during the rainy season overflow to the extent that students are stressed to cross.
The timely intervention of the district assembly headed by the hon Felicia Ntrakwa Ammisah, took to their heels to furnish this footbridge to help in the free commutation of teachers and students to and from the knowledge embodiment center.
The people of Assin Odumasi say thank you and may God bless you. This is what we expect the assemblies to be doing not the other way round. On this note, “I will thank the DCE and her team for touching the lives of the people through these difficult times of economic hardship. They also gave there special thanks to the Assemblyman Joe Tee of the area.
Now it’s alleged that, the District Chief Executive spent Gh¢ 50,000.00 to construct the said footbridge.
The 50,000 cost of a foot bridge is normal and falls within standard cost of constructing 12m length, 16mm and 12mm rebars in ‘C 20’ mix concrete with 75mm round galvanized guard rails coated with coral anti rust paint .
Indeed cost of project can never be disputed if you can also consider facts, figures and materials used.
Estimation is a great tool used to question if a project cost is accurate or higher and having that, it is wrong for someone to disagree with a figured given on a project.
It is very important for critics to backed their case with an estimate to challenge the 50,000.00 cost of the Assin south foot bridge. But failing to do that, it will be very difficult to agree with critics on project cost.
In Accra, a constructed bridge which served same purpose by the Minister of information Mrs owusu cost 3 times that of Assin Odumasi’s own but, it was all wood and the cost was accepted because checks and variation was done on that project.
Interestingly, after a heavy downpour, the bridge floated on the water and was finally named floated London bridge. Under her competency, she considered to give a permanent solution to the people at all times.
I think 50,000 is alot of money but we must also consider the constructional cost of the project.
I have accessed the project cost and frankly speaking the cost of the project is very Fair and within cost.
“I challenge any of the critics to challenge my cost to prove me wrong on the cost of the foot bridge.”
“I hereby give a fair range cost of a foot bridge for comparison”.
Below is the breakdown.
1.Soil test and report cost – Ghc 1,200.00
2. Drawings and designs – Ghc 2,000.00
3. 20m3 of stone – Ghc 3,200.00
4. 20m3 of Quarry dust – Ghc 2,800.0
5. Sand 20m3 – Ghc 1000.00
6. Cement (80 bags) – Ghc 4,900.00
7.16mm Iron Rods – (1 ton) – Ghc 5,400.00
8. 12mm Iron Rods – (1 ton) – Ghc 5,400.00
9 . 10mm Iron Rods – (50 PC) Ghc 1,500.00
10. Binding wire – (5 rolls) – Ghc 300.00
11. Transportational cost the materials – Ghc 1,500.00
12. 2/4 wood (100pcs) – Ghc 3,000.00
13. 1/2 ‘Plywood’ (15 PCs) – Ghc 2,550.00
14. Nails (6 boxes) – Ghc 420.00
15. Hiring of concrete mixer for 3 days – Ghc 600.00
16. Hiring of poker vibrator 3 days – Ghc 450.00
17. Renting of wheel barrows and other equipment – Ghc 240.00
18. Carpentry labour – Ghc 1,500.00
19. Mason labour – Ghc 2,800.00
20. Steel bending labour – Ghc 1,450.00
21. Workers’ Accommodation – Ghc 500.00
22. Metal galvanized hand rails materials cost – Ghc 3,200.00
23. Labour for handrails welding – Ghc 1,200.00
24. Materials for spraying and labour – Ghc 1,850.00
25. Refreshments for site meetings – Ghc 500.00
26. Cost of refreshments for commission – Ghc 1000.00
Total cost of project – Ghc 49,960 only.
Please note that, supervision cost is not included. why are you surprised?
The DCE has done a fair and excellent project costing with everlasting solution for her people.she has really done well and needs to be commended. Let’s do proper checks on project before we talked about cost. Because, permanent solutions cost can never be compare with temporal solutions.
cc: The breakdown of the 50k constructed footbridge at Assin Odumasi was done by Frank Asante.